Saturday, September 11, 2010

Aha! Higher ISO


Early this evening, I thought it would be lovely to take some nice shots of Baby Mac. I envisioned lovely pre-twilight light streaming softly through windows, casting a light softness on my adorable little guy. Of course, that did not happen. I couldn't get a shot that was way too dark or way too blurry. I messed with a few things, nothing really helped. I even tried using the flash. yuck. So I gave up. Then, I saw Mac trying his hardest to get up to the sink while the girls were brushing their teeth. He was standing on a teeny tiny stool saying "plee, plee" (his word for please). I thought, "I have got to get this!" I had not really taken my camera fully off auto mode. But? I did. And while these may have some technical issues, I was pretty happy that I was able to get these. I switched the ISO all the way up to 1600 and suddenly the blurry, dark shots looked light and fairly crisp. They may be a little grainy, but hey, I'm thrilled that I went off auto! Baby steps.

2 comments:

  1. I always say that the grain from a high ISO is better than the grain that comes from an underexposed pic that needs to be lightened or a hand that blurs into a stump ;-) Plus, converting those high ISO pics makes for some great moody B&W's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of photography and blogging about it! It's addicting and time consuming but so much fun! Once I made the step to get out of auto mode I discovered a whole new world! Though I confess I still use auto for those can't miss quick shots, I try my best to stay out of it and experiment. I look forward to getting to know you through your journey of learning.

    ReplyDelete